Vegetable Baked Ziti
- 2 and 1/2 cups of uncooked pasta of your choice (ziti and penne work best)
- 3 medium sized tomatoes cut in 1/2 and then sliced thick
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 of a medium sized bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup of sweet onion finely chopped
- 2 cups of cauliflower florets cut into smaller bite sized florets
- 1 cup of mushrooms chopped (doesn't matter what kind)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup of ricotta cheese
- 1 cup of mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F
- Bring a medium sauce pan of water to boil, put the cauliflower in, lower to medium heat, and let cook for 5 minutes. Then drain and set aside the cauliflower for later use. (wash sauce pan)
- In the same pan, on medium heat, place the olive oil and tomatoes in the pan. After the tomatoes start to cook, stir them around and place the garlic, onions, and pepper in the pan. Continue to simmer and occasionally stir, slightly crushing the tomatoes. After about 5 minutes throw in the butter and salt and pepper. Allow to simmer for another ten minutes.
- During those ten minutes bring another pot of water to boil and cook the pasta for 10 minutes. Drain the pasta and set aside for later use.
- Turning off the heat for the sauce, put in the mushrooms and cauliflower, mixing them into the sauce. Then mix in most of the ricotta cheese to create a creamy base.
- Pour the vegetable laden sauce over the pasta, thoroughly combining the two. Then pour them into a baking pan.
- Cover the mixture with the remaining ricotta cheese and mozzarella cheese, evenly creating a layer.
- Place in the oven and bake for twenty minutes.
This delicious dish can be served as a side for four or an extremely hearty meal for two.